The first post of 2020 is unlike the regular topic or conversation I have on the podcast because it is the start of a new year and a new decade. So I just thought I will take this opportunity to look ahead and see what are the major trends that could shape the way we transition to a zero carbon economy or as I call it Mission Shunya. But just as I started preparing to look ahead, I thought what if I look back and reflect on the decade that we just wrapped up. Wouldn’t that be a good idea. It also has a personal angle to it considering that for about 9 out of the 10 years I have been clean-tech professional, launched a couple of clean-tech podcasts, a blog (this) and over the years I did see a lot of positives and negatives in the decade.
So how about a top 10 or list of 10 trends, stories or the cleantech buzz that caught our attention in the last decade?? Wouldn’t that be interesting? So here’s my top 10 from the last decade, just a quick disclaimer, this is in no particular order but something I feel had a significant impact in clean-tech and sustainable development in the last decade. Feel free to let me know your views. (Links to subscribe and listen:here)
- Energy access– Check the relevant episode on pay as you go solar.
- Solar power – Check solar power development has no more outliers.
- Energy efficient appliances– A relevant blog post of how EESL has enabled adoption of energy efficient appliance.
- Extreme weather events – My reflections on the trend of extreme weather events.
- Air pollution– Two podcast episodes covered the topic in detail 1) Delhi case-study 2) Indoor air pollution
- Paris climate agreement– How the Paris climate deal came about?
- Sustainable development– Is Sustainable Development at cross roads? and why global companies have stopped sourcing products from Brazil after the forest wildfires?
- Sustainability of large infrastructure projects– A new carbon label for assessment of large infrastructure projects.
- Electric vehicles– The pilot project of Ola and Will we run out of Lithium for batteries?
- Climate activism – Can climate change spark a war?
The trends that will shape the decade ahead
- Energy access – 100% electrification
- Climate action – Countries meeting their INDC
- Carbon markets
- Renewable Energy
- Batteries and Electric Vehicles
- Phase out of single use plastic
- Waste management – Here’s how Upcycling can help manage waste better
- Meat Alternatives – The emergence of meat alternatives in US and Europe
- Smart and connected cities
- Circular economy – How to ‘Do Better With Less’